If an apple pie and
cinnamon rolls had a baby...
They're the perfect partners really. They both love cinnamon, and sugar, and could pass as breakfast, even though they're most certainly dessert. Try this delicious dessert today.
Or have it for breakfast - I won't judge!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a pie dish with nonstick oil.
- Peel and cut the apples into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch to apples and stir.
- Pour apple mixture into a colander over a large bowl and let sit 30-60 minutes.
- Cut each cinnamon roll in half and roll out with flour until thin.
- Layer the bottom of the pie dish with the flattened cinnamon rolls to create a bottom crust.
- Bake crust in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Cook the drained apple liquid on the stove until it reduces and develops a glossy sheen, about two minutes.
- Add sliced apples to glaze and mix well.
- Pour the apples into the pie crust and layer the rest of the rolls on top to create a closed crust, pinch any holes together with your fingers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes uncovered.
- Allow the pie to cool and drizzle with icing.
5 granny smith apples, sliced
2 cans vegan cinnamon roll *
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
* I like Annie's and Immaculate brands